Systems in Place to Ensure Consistent Assessment of IELTS Test Results
IELTS has many procedures for examiners to follow. This ensures that the assessment is of high quality, trustworthy and consistent.
The assessment rules are as follows:
- Writing and Speaking tests are assessed by trained and certified examiners.
- Examiners are qualified English language specialists.
- Selected Speaking and Writing performances are second marked by a team of IELTS principal examiners.
- When there is a significant difference between a test taker’s Writing and Speaking score and their Reading and Listening scores, double marking is carried out.
- A routine analysis is conducted on each test version to ensure high standards.
- Test takers who feel that their scores are incorrect or not reflective of their performance can apply for re-evaluation by a senior examiner.